Tuesday, June 26, 2012

No, I'm not on crack but I am on flax!



 

Ok, let's talk depression and let's be very honest and real about it. I have never been diagnosed with it but I am almost positive that I was for most of my 20's if not some of my teens and 20's. At one point in my marriage I was told to basically shape up, figure it out or get shipped out, in so many words. Well, we know how that story ended. (I got shipped) So, my point in sharing this is not to blame my ex-husband for not understanding that I most likely needed help (or at least some spinach smoothies with flaxseed) but to get others to understand that there are things you can do when you are faced with non-supportive "shape up or ship out" situations. I am pretty sure that from 2007 to 2010 I had prepartum (no I'm not sure if that is a real thing), partum (this either) and postpartum depression (ha)....it wasn't that I was miserable...its just that I wasn't me, I wasn't the "happy and alive" that I am now. Now, people ask me believe it or not, "why and how are you so happy?" Seems silly right as we should all be striving to be this happy! We should be asking "why are you so miserable and what can I do to help?" Misery really does love company and I will not stand for it or be part of it. I believe in love, helping others and happiness.  I surround myself with others that believe in the same. Surrounding yourself with those that believe in you and your dreams is so important for your happiness! I can literally run people over with my happiness now and its awesome! I want you to feel that way too!

So crack or flax? Its flax......did you know that flax is a natural aid in helping to reverse depression? Read below:

"Flax fights “The Blues” It’s that tired feeling that a good night's rest won’t shake… that listless down in the dumps feeling that you just can’t get rid of. We call it “the blues”, otherwise known as atypical depression, the most common form of depression. Preliminary research suggests that eating a diet rich in flax could slash your risk of ever feeling “down in the dumps”. Follow up studies show that just 2-3 tablespoons of flax daily can help up to 2/3rds of severely depressed women bounce back within eight weeks. Flax, says Udo Erasmus, PhD, has a mood boosting ingredient: docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) that is essential for the proper function of brain cells, yet up to 85% of women aren’t getting enough of it. Early research conducted by Dr. Martha Clare Morris of Chicago’s Rush-Presbyterian-St. Luke’s Medical Center notes that a diet rich in omega-3 fatty acids is believed to be important for brain development. She stated that some participants in the study saw a decreased risk of Alzheimer’s from eating a diet high in Omega-3 fatty acids(Flax is the richest source of Omega 3’s in the plant kingdom). More research is needed in the area of flax and its relation to depression and brain function, however preliminary research is very promising."

When I started adding flaxseed to my smoothies I was only doing it because I thought maybe I should be "going potty" (as my 3 yr old would say) more. Sorry if that is TMI but its true. It turns out that a little dose of flax in the am was actually setting a happy tone to each of my days, along with many other benefits! I am pretty sure I am addicted to it now because of that. How great is it to be addicted to things that make you feel great and are so good for you, like exercise and eating right! I know some of you have addictions to junk food, to alcohol, cigarettes etc......Why not try eliminating one bad habit this week and try replacing it with a good habit until all of your habits are good and you kicked the bad ones all to the curb. That is how you achieve a healthy lifestyle by forming all the right habits. Then it becomes second nature and no longer seems like a chore or a burden.

I hope this info about flax has helped some or one of you as that is my intention in sharing my stories with you.

Other supplements that I feel help keep me happy are:

  • Vitamin D

  • DHA

  • Caffeine- also a natural fat burner (Bonus!) and yes, some caffeine per day is completely fine!!!


Don't forget to be awesome friends!!!
xoxoxo-A


 

1 comment: